Week 4 Part A: Target Markets

 Subway Observations

    Subway is a very well known sandwich chain that has many commercials that cater towards athletes. The target market for subway seems to involve people that are on the go between high school and early thirties. They pride themselves on being quick and convenient - which seems evident with their demonstration of catering options which would be great to grab for a team of athletes that are on the go. It doesn't seem that want to bring in people who want to sit down at the restaurant to enjoy their meal. Subway is a place for single people in their teens to thirties that are busy and need a quick bite. Their website says that they are always evolving which could appeal to people who frequent the chain and want to try something different than the same sub that they've ordered since the age of 9. 


Hungry Bear Deli

     This single location mom and pop deli is a place that wants you to feel a part of the family. There isn't much information on their website about their history which makes me believe that you need to eat there to understand. Well, I enjoy myself a good sub so I might have to see what all the fuss is about. Looking at the photos of their sandwiches, you can just tell that they're made with love, don't ask me how I know I just know. I found it: the website says and I quote "Made with ❤ by Popmenu".  Hungry Bear is catered to individuals who appreciate small businesses and want to support them. The deli doesn't seem to cater to people who are on the go rather ones who want to sit down to enjoy their meal. It's a place you could bring the family to. This place is catered to people who value their time and a good homemade sandwich. These people most likely enjoy finding local stores and farmers markets to do their shopping at. Added bonus with the website: the choice of describing sandwich toppings as "the works" definitely gives me family deli vibes. I like it. I would eat here. 


Comparative Thoughts 

    I'm not sure how fair it is to compare an international company to a small company because I personally always favor a small business. I think a lot of big chains like Subway lose their sense of family because nothing feels personal about being rushed through the line to have your sandwich manhandled by a dull knife. After looking at the nitty gritty of Subway you can see that they were a smaller shop because they obviously had to start somewhere in 1965. I liked the story about the history with a 17 year old needing to pay for college and asking a nuclear physicist for advice, but I don't see a hint of that history in the chain anymore. I will say though that the Hungry Bear didn't have much of a story on their website about their opening, and I would have really enjoyed to read about the shops history. All in all, I'm not bashing Subway because it really isn't bad, but I haven't eaten there since I played softball and lacrosse in high school and just needed something to eat. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12 Part A: Using Business Specific Online Tools

Week1A: My Blog Theme

Week 10 Part A: Researching Email Marketing